I am delighted to have this opportunity to tell you about our school, Our Lady of Compassion Catholic Primary. Ours is a warm, loving, Christ-centred community, founded on our school motto of ‘To Live as Jesus Taught Us’, where all pupils are taught to love each other and treat others with respect.
As a Catholic school we have always had a set of values which forms our school’s mission; they underpin and are integral to every aspect of the life of the school. These values are based on the teachings of the Catholic Church and the promotion of Gospel values which are rooted in the Beatitudes, the proclamation of Christ’s Sermon on the Mount: ‘Blessed are…’ Whilst not definitive, the core values based on the Beatitudes are:
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted”
Value: Dignity and Compassion
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”
Value: Faithfulness and Integrity
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth”
Value: Humility and Gentleness
“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy”
Value: Forgiveness and Mercy
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God”
Value: Purity and Holiness
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God”
Value: Tolerance and Peace
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of slander against you because of me. Be glad and rejoice for your reward is great in heaven”
Value: Service and Sacrifice
At Our Lady of Compassion School we actively promote these values by:
- Working with parents and our Parish to give the children in our care knowledge of their faith and to guide them in the practice of their faith.
- Encouraging the growth of a community based upon Gospel values, where each member has the opportunity to explore their faith.
- Providing an environment where each child is valued as an individual and has the opportunity to develop to their full potential.
- Developing a community where every member’s needs, talents and qualities are appreciated.
- Encouraging the development of a professional, motivated and mutually supportive staff who hold high expectations of our pupils.
- Setting and maintaining high standards of discipline, courtesy and general moral values which allow the whole school community to function effectively. Our aim is that each child can, in due course, take on a responsible role in society.
- Providing a non-sexist, non-racist atmosphere which engenders tolerance and respect for other races, religions and life-styles.
- Fostering links between home, school and parishes for the benefit of our children.
- Rewarding children who demonstrate these values with our “To Live as Jesus Taught Us” certificate.
- Helping children to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of others in the locality and further afield by their fundraising activities eg Anawim, Father Hudson’s Homes, CAFOD.
As a Catholic School we actively promote values, virtues and ethics that shape our pupils' character and moral perspective, through the teachings of the Church. Our continued focus on the Gospel values give our pupils the necessary awareness of what it means to be a good citizen in Britain today, and embed in them the building blocks of a future successful and productive life. Our Gospel values work in harmony with the values that are inherently British- Democracy, The rule of law, Individual liberty, Mutual respect, Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs.
At our school we have a dedicated, enthusiastic team of teaching and non-teaching staff who continually strive to offer the very best education for all. Our new curriculum is rich and exciting, and designed to engage and inspire, encouraging children to develop skills, acquire knowledge and develop a love of learning. All pupils are given many opportunities to learn, both within the classroom, in the school grounds, in the wider locality and beyond.
Our inclusive environment ensures stimulating learning experiences for all, supporting our children to achieve their potential and to grow into independent and responsible young people who are ready for the challenges ahead.
We foster good links with our parish community, the Church of the Holy Ghost and Mary Immaculate (Olton Friary). Father Wilfred and Father Austin are frequent visitors to our school, providing support in our journey of faith.
This website offers you a flavour of life at Our Lady of Compassion; we are happy to arrange a visit for you come along and see our school for yourselves and look forward to welcoming you and your family soon.
Mrs L Montandon
Our Mission Statement
"Promoting the spiritual, intellectual, creative and social development of every child within a caring, catholic community."
Our Mission Statement
"At Our Lady of Compassion we try our best to:
help and respect others
play happily together
in the ways that Jesus taught us."